Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
The Topic This Week Is: Reasons Why I Love The Hunger Games Series
I’ve been thinking about The Hunger Games a lot lately, probably because A Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes hits the shelves TODAY!!!!
Who pre-ordered it? This girl right here!
So, in honor of Suzanne Collins’ new release, I decided to list the top ten reasons why I love The Hunger Games series.
Here we go!
- It’s a dystopia. I love dystopian novels, and this series is one of my favorites. It contains all the classic dystopian elements:
- governmental oppression,
- unfair social castes,
- propaganda, technology and violence used as a means to control,
- citizens who live in a dehumanized state,
- harsh punishments for lack of conformity,
- a society that presents the illusion of perfection.
2. Katniss Everdeen. She is fierce, smart, selfless, compassionate, and flawed. She also questions the rules and expectations of society and fights for a better world. Basically, she’s a bad-ass with a bow and arrow!
3. The villains. Snow, Coin, the games, the people who sit idly by, Cato, the mutts…there are so many antagonists, and they are all fun to hate.
4. The setting. Panem is a fascinating futuristic society. It includes 12 districts, and most are deprived and overworked. These districts stand in stark contrast to the capital which is obnoxiously opulent, decadent, and lives in excess.
5. The arenas in the first two books. They are amazing and horrifying all at once.
6. The action! There are so many suspenseful and action-filled scenes to keep you on the edge of your seat! This is especially true in the arena and when they travel to the Capitol in Mockingjay.
7. Haymitch Abernathy. He’s sarcastic and biting, but he’s also sharp and brave.
8. Finnick Odair. Poor, sweet Finnick. Oh, how I love him! He was done so wrong!
9. The love triangle. I know this is a trope that many dislike, but I am a sucker for a good romance, and this love triangle intrigued me. Does Katniss go for the best-friend or the boy with the bread?
Team Peeta forever, by the way!!
10. The fact that this book series got millions of people to pick up a book and read. That’s amazing to me. I had students who hated reading fly through this trilogy to my utter delight! That makes a book great, in my eyes!
There you have it. Those are the main reasons why I love The Hunger Games series and why I’ve read the trilogy at least a dozen times. What do you think about the series? Do you plan on reading The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes? Comment below!
46 thoughts on “Top 10 Tuesday: Reasons Why I Love The Hunger Games Series”
I love your top ten Tuesdays 🙂
Thanks so much! I’m glad you enjoy them! 🙂 🙂
I love your reasons. I have to hang my head in shame because this is a series where I’ve watched the films but not read the books – though I do have all 3 from when my teenage son read them. And yes, he wasn’t a big reader but he loved these books.
Thanks! This is the series that really got me hooked on dystopian novels. I liked the movies, and the books are fantastic! 🙂
I love The Hunger Games! These books are so good, and I loved them just as much when I re-read them a couple of years ago. I was still on the edge of my seat, even though I knew what was going to happen. And yes I pre-ordered The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, it’s due to arrive in the post tomorrow!
Nice! I feel the same way when I read them.
It’s such an immersive story. I’m so excited to get my copy of Songbirds and Snakes. I should have it by Friday!
Great list! I really enjoyed the series. Can’t wait for this one! For some strange reason the library does not have it yet.
Thanks so much! I’m excited to read it too. 🙂
Totally agreed. The Hunger Games is a great series. Hope you enjoy the prequel! I’m on a long library list for it, but that will give me chance to reread the other books in the series while I wait. 🙂
My TTT .
Oooh, good idea! There’s nothing better than rereading a favorite series! 🙂
Great list. I love The Hunger Games and Katniss is amazing. Such a badass. I can’t wait for the next one to be released.
Me too! It came out today! I should be getting my copy this week, and I can’t wait. 🙂
Agreed!! I love this series so much. Here is my post-https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/2020/05/top-ten-tuesday-why-i-love-ya.html.
It’s such a good series. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
I think I will always love The hunger games haha! Great list!
Couldn’t agree more! It’s introduced so many people to reading which is excellent. Most of my friends have read this series, although they’re not all bookworms. It’s such a great series and it’s sparked other writers to write in the same genre. I’m also Team Peeta – didn’t like Gale from the start!
I agree. It inspired readers and writers alike, which is amazing! 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!
You’re very welcome!
Except for the love triangle, those are valid reasons 😀
I love your Hunger Games list! These are good reasons!
Thanks so much! 🙂
I love The Hunger Games too! I wasn’t the biggest fan of Mockingjay but it’s been a very long time since I read that one so maybe my opinion of it has changed since then.
It’s such a good series, but I’ve heard many people with the same opinion about Mockingjay. I can’t wait for the new one! 🙂
We’ve been watching the movies lately and I had forgotten just how good this series really was.
It sure is! 🙂
FINNICK!! love him!! I’ve only read the first book in this series (however I watch all the movies… ik bad haha) however I still really love the hunger games and agree with all these points! Great post!
Thanks so much! 🙂
Love this post! haha. I have been waiting for soooo many people to post reviews of this new book!! I’ve been on the fence and I don’t even know why. It’s been hard to find reviews but I hope they start pouring in now! 🙂
My Top Ten
Me too! I’m curious to read Snow’s story, but I have mixed feelings about it. I mean. I HATE Snow, yet I’m curious about his story.
Exactly!!! I feel the same. It could be fantastic or not so much! It depends on how she write his story! Can’t wait to see reviews!!
Great topic! There are just so many things to love about the Hunger Games. And that list can vary so drastically since it appeals to such a huge demographic.
That’s so true! 🙂
While I do hope to read the new book in the future, I seem to be in the minority. I actually did not like The Hunger Game series…the idea behind the series was great, and the first book was well-done, but I quickly lost interest, and I disliked the romance. Which was surprising as I tend to love dystopia. However, I had to keep reading your list to see what your reasons would be for loving it! Mostly because I was rather surprised to see someone do the topic with a specific book, and partly because I find it interesting to see what I could possibly be missing when so many enjoy it. This has turned out to be a popular series, and I was glad to see that it led to so many people reading, so it’s good to see that included in your list! I can see why all of these things made you love the book though, and will definitely agree about Finnick.
It’s not for everyone. There are other books that I fully expected to love, that all my reader friends recommended, that I read…and disliked. Sometimes it just doesn’t click. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your thoughts! 🙂
Great list! I was never able to really get into The Hunger Games and stopped reading the first book halfway through. However, I’ve been thinking of trying it again and your list has helped nudge me in that direction! Happy reading!
Nice! I hope you like it better this time around! 🙂
Thank you! I’m actually feeling optimistic about the series now!
I couldn’t agree more! Because of this post, I rewatched The Hunger Game movie last night! Finished three movies in a row! Ugh. So good!
That’s awesome! They’re so good 🙂
My favorite movie. Really nice you wrote on this. Please check on my article via the link below:
YES, Hunger Games is one of my favourite series 🙂