Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
This week’s prompt is: Top 10 Signs You Are a Book Lover
1. Every surface in your house is covered in books and book related items. I have books in every room in my house, including my bathroom and my greenhouse. You never know when you might need a good book to read. Just sayin’.
2. Going outside to “get some fresh air” means bringing a book outside to read. Personally, I hate the sun. It gives me headaches and makes me sick. So, the only way you’ll get me out in it is to lure me with a good book.
3. You often make excuses to get out of plans so that you can stay home and read. I’ve done this more than once. I even called in sick to work because I went to a midnight release for Harry Potter and stayed up all night reading it! That’s not wrong, right?
4. You know and appreciate the distinct smell and sound of books. New book smell, old book smell, even slightly musty book smell, the fresh crispness of a new page, and the loving wear of an old page – they are all distinct, and they all evoke strong feelings of happiness and contentment in a book lover.
5. You take books with you wherever you go. I am so guilty of this. I tend to have a book with me wherever I am. Doctor’s appointments, date night, family gatherings – basically, everywhere I go, a book is with me. I even have books in my car, just in case.
6. You take books with you on vacation. Or better yet, you take vacations based on book interests. I went to Key West on my honeymoon and happily went to Earnest Hemingway’s house. I also took my kids on a road trip to Walden Pond.
7. You go through a period of mourning when a series you love ends or a character you love dies. I’m talking about you, Dumbledore! That destroyed me on so many levels.
8. When you walk into a library, the librarian calls you by your first name. Linda, my local librarian, can vouch for me. She’s known me for over twenty-six years (and still reminds me about the ONE book I lost when I was like 17. Back off, Linda! Lol).
9. You have multiple copies/editions of the same book. Guilty! Pride and Prejudice, Les Miserables, In the Time of the Butterflies, Rebecca, and Harry Potter are just a few. 😉
10. You read multiple books, often in a variety of formats, at the same time. I’m always in the middle of reading at least two books. I think most book worms tend to juggle multiple books at a time. 🙂
Do you do any of these things? Can you think of other signs that show you are a book lover? Comment below?