About the Book:
Title: The Dukes Rules of Engagement
Author: Jennifer Haymore
Page Length: 384
Publication Date: Sept. 27, 2022
Publisher: Entangled: Amara
Synopsis: Some matches are made in hell…
Joanna Porter loves being one of London’s hottest up-and-coming matchmakers. But her heavenly vocation is about to turn into a nuptial nightmare—thanks to the Duke of Crestmont. He’s as handsome as he is insufferable and obsessed with all things proper. Matching him would cement Jo’s status as England’s greatest matchmaker. Except, of course, the impossible-to-please duke refuses all of her most eligible ladies…confirming his status as a complete and utter pain in her petticoats.
The Duke of Crestmont can’t believe he needs a matchmaker—let alone this spitfire of a woman whose kissable mouth and dancing, impertinent gray eyes tease him ruthlessly. But the people of his estate are counting on him to find a duchess. A proper lady with a flawless pedigree and immaculate deportment. So why can’t he stop himself from wanting his pert, lively matchmaker…instead of the perfect duchess?
Now the entire ton is watching as this determined, audacious matchmaker takes on the most powerful man in London in USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Haymore’s lively new Regency romp. And this show might just be the most outrageous one yet…
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, including Amazon, and I may earn a small commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through my links.
The Dukes Rules of Engagement is a lovely historical romance with great messages and a wonderful love story. Jo works as a matchmaker and is happy to pair others though she’s resigned to being alone. Her newest client Matthew Leighton, the Duke of Crestmont, hires her to find him a wife who will do her duty and provide him with an heir. However, he does not want a love match, and his requirements for a wife are vague. As Jo assists Matthew in procuring a duchess, she finds herself falling for him.
Jo and Matthew have a wonderful love story filled with great banter and chemistry. Jo believes in love, though she hasn’t found it for herself. She works hard to provide for her family and often puts others needs ahead of her own. Matthew, too, often thinks of others and not himself. Reluctant to fall in love again, he is more bound by obligation and duty. He was wounded by love in the past and doesn’t want to risk having his heart broken again. I like how Jo slowly changes his feelings toward love and marriage. She shows him that not everyone is after his title and wealth. They have so many fun and heartwarming moments, and their growing feelings for each other are positively swoon-worthy!
Something else I really enjoyed in the story is the protagonists shared interest in the weather. The scenes where Matthew opens up to Jo, especially when talking about weather and showing her new weather-related technologies are fantastic. They are able to connect on an even deeper level because of their unique shared interest.
The story has many messages about friends, family, classism, loss, grief, gender inequities, and more. I like that the author weaves such important themes into the story in an organic and natural way and thought these messages added even more depth to the story. It’s a well-paced and layered read and one I’d definitely recommend to historical romance readers.
Special thanks to NetGalley, Entangled Publishing, and TLC Book Tours for providing me with a copy of the book. All thoughts are my own.
- The romance!
- The messages.
You deserve to be someone’s favorite person.
About Jennifer Haymore:
USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Haymore is the author of over a dozen award-winning historical romances. When she’s not dreaming up scandal in Regency England, you’ll likely find her avidly listening to an audiobook while sailing, walking her spoiled husky, or on an airplane heading off to visit the exciting locale of her next novel. Jennifer loves reading romance and writing happily ever afters, and she’s grateful to all her readers for giving her an opportunity to share her stories with the world.
- Monday, September 26th: @barr_bookworm
- Tuesday, September 27th: @onemused
- Tuesday, September 27th: @a.rekindled.romance
- Wednesday, September 28th: @greeneyedgirl0704
- Thursday, September 29th: @everlasting.bookworm
- Friday, September 30th: @nsiabblog
- Saturday, October 1st: @loveofmuse
- Sunday, October 2nd: @nerdy_book_lover_1987
- Monday, October 3rd: @aparanormalromance
- Monday, October 3rd: @beastreader and Cheryl’s Book Nook
- Monday, October 3rd: @plottrysts
- Tuesday, October 4th: @kingarthurof_cat_onsville
- Wednesday, October 5th: @daniereads87
- Wednesday, October 5th: @infinite.readlist
- Thursday, October 6th: @what.jessie.reads
- Thursday, October 6th: @temmathomas
- Thursday, October 6th: The Lit Bitch – spotlight
- Friday, October 7th: @fringebookreviews
- Saturday, October 8th: @olivias.bookish.world
- Monday, October 10th: @1bookmore and One Book More
- Tuesday, October 11th: @romantically_swept_away
- Tuesday, October 11th: Satisfaction for Insatiable Readers
- Wednesday, October 12th: @shopcoffeekids
- Wednesday, October 12th: Stranded in Chaos and @sarastrand9438
- Thursday, October 13th: @lowkey.bookish
- Monday, October 17th: @christireadsalot
- Monday, October 17th: From the TBR Pile
- Tuesday, October 18th: @reading.with.rylanne
- Tuesday, October 18th: Jathan & Heather
- Wednesday, October 19th: @sarahs.bookish.reviews
- Thursday, October 20th: Laura’s Reviews and @laurasreviews_1
3 thoughts on “Book Review: The Dukes Rules of Engagement by Jennifer Haymore”
I have a little over 100 pages left to go but I really enjoy this one as well. Thank you for being on this tour! Sara @ TLC Book Tours
LikeLiked by 1 person
Glad to hear you’re enjoying it too!! Thanks for having me. 🙂